The weather could be lousy, but the football could be too compelling to keep Boyle County and Danville fans at home.
Boyle and Danville play their most important regular-season games tonight on opposite sides of the city. The Admirals will host Bardstown on the east side, while the Rebels will host Lexington Catholic on the west side, with both games almost certain to decide championships in their respective districts.
The Boyle-Lexington Catholic game figures to be the bigger draw, as it pits two of the top teams in Class 4A. The teams’ two meetings last year were both entertaining games, and many fans expect this one to be as well.
But don’t overlook Bardstown-Danville, either. Sure, both teams have fallen into the second tier of Class 2A, and it’s difficult to imagine either team figuring in the championship picture right now. But the teams remain evenly matched, and both just might be better than their records indicate.
If you’re a regular at either Admiral Stadium or Rebel Stadium, you shouldn’t let the foul weather keep you away tonight. Besides, if you’ve been to a game in either of the last two weeks, your rain gear should be within easy reach.
* * *
Here are the links to this week’s available preview stories:
- Lexington Catholic at Boyle County: Larry Vaught’s preview at amnews.com; Mike Fields’ preview from the Lexington Herald-Leader.
- Bardstown at Danville: Vaught’s preview at amnews.com; Peter Zubaty’s preview from The Kentucky Standard of Bardstown.
- Lincoln County at Meade County: My preview at amnews.com; Greg Crews’ preview from The News-Enterprise of Elizabethtown.
- Garrard County at Somerset: Hal Morris’ preview at amnews.com.
- Mercer County at Southwestern: My preview at amnews.com.
- Casey County at Taylor County: My preview at amnews.com.
* * *
Now for this week’s picks, as I try to follow up my best week of the season:
- Boyle County over Lexington Catholic.
- Bardstown over Danville.
- Meade County over Lincoln County.
- Somerset over Garrard County.
- Southwestern over Mercer County.
- Taylor County over Casey County.
Last week: 4-0; season 24-8 (.750).