There’ll be plenty in this space later in the week about Boyle County’s upcoming trip to the state football finals, but you should also know that this is opening day for the high school basketball season.
Every local team but one is in action this week as the 12-week regular season gets under way. (Danville’s boys will wait until next week.) Once again, it figures to be a better year for local girls teams than for the boys, at least as far as being near the top of the 12th Region.
There are only two new coaches among the 16 area teams. Dave McDaniel is coaching the Garrard County boys for the third time, taking over after the midsummer resignation of Lee DeForest, who is now an assistant at Christian County. And former Mercer County boys assistant Chris Myers is now leading the Burgin girls instead of Jacqueline Coleman, who is now the head coach at East Jessamine.
And while my better judgment tells me I shouldn’t do this, here are my quick picks for the 12th Region’s district and regional winners:
- 45th District: Danville boys, Lincoln County girls.
- 46th District: West Jessamine boys, Mercer County girls.
- 47th District: Rockcastle County boys, Casey County girls.
- 48th District: McCreary Central boys, Wayne County girls.
- 12th Region: McCreary Central boys, Lincoln County girls.
Finally, here’s where teams from the eight Advocate-area schools will open the season:
- Boyle County: Saturday vs. Cumberland County.
- Burgin: Tuesday at Portland Christian (home opener Dec. 11 vs. Eminence).
- Casey County: today at Anderson County (home opener Thursday vs. Russell County).
- Danville: Dec. 8 at South Oldham (home opener Dec. 15 vs. Berea).
- Garrard County: Tuesday vs. Marion County.
- Lincoln County: Tuesday vs. Russell County.
- Mercer County: Tuesday vs. McCreary Central.
- Boyle County: Tuesday vs. East Jessamine.
- Burgin: Tuesday at Portland Christian (home opener Dec. 17 vs. Pulaski County.)
- Casey County: today vs. Madison Central.
- Danville: Thursday vs. Burgin.
- Garrard County: Wednesday vs. opponent TBA in Sayre round-robin (home opener Dec. 8 vs. Washington County).
- Lincoln County: today vs. Pulaski County.
- Mercer County: today at George Rogers Clark (home opener Dec. 14 vs. Danville).