The 12th Region champions will play the 11th Region girls and the 14th Region boys in their respective state tournaments next month.
Pairings were drawn today in Lexington for the boys and girls state tourneys. Both 12th Region winners will play their first-round games on Thursday (girls March 10 in Bowling Green, boys March 17 in Lexington).
The girls 11th Region is typically brutal, with Bryan Station, Scott County and Madison Central among those at the top of the field. Perry County Central is the powerbroker in the boys 14th Region, with Buckhorn, Hazard and Knott County Central also in the mix.
Here are all of the first-round matchups, in bracket order:
Girls Sweet Sixteen
At E.A. Diddle Arena, Bowling Green
Wednesday, March 9
- 8th Region vs. 4th Region, 1 p.m.
- 7th Region vs. 2nd Region, 2:30 p.m.
- 6th Region vs. 14th Region, 7:30 p.m.
- 5th Region vs. 10th Region, 9 p.m.
Thursday, March 10
- 15th Region vs. 16th Region, 1 p.m.
- 1st Region vs. 9th Region, 2:30 p.m.
- 11th Region vs. 12th Region, 7:30 p.m.
- 13th Region vs. 3rd Region, 9 p.m.
Boys Sweet Sixteen
At Rupp Arena, Lexington
Wednesday, March 16
- 10th Region vs. 8th Region, Noon
- 4th Region vs. 7th Region, 1:30 p.m.
- 2nd Region vs. 15th Region, 6:30 p.m.
- 11th Region vs. 9th Region, 8 p.m.
Thursday, March 17
- 3rd Region vs. 16th Region, Noon
- 12th Region vs. 14th Region, 1:30 p.m.
- 6th Region vs. 5th Region, 6:30 p.m.
- 1st Region vs. 13th Region, 8 p.m.