A stocking full of tournaments
It’s tournament time for most of the area’s high school teams this week and next. Most Pre-Christmas tournaments begin today or tomorrow, and post-Christmas events typically begin Dec. 26 or 27.
The only one being played locally is the Applebee’s Winter Classic hosted by the Boyle County girls, and it’s a significantly smaller event than it was a year ago. Boyle will host Fleming County, Grayson County and South Oldham in a round-robin Dec. 27-29. For the past three years, the AWC was a 16-team event, and it was becoming a pretty good one.
Before his hasty exit just before the start of the season, former Boyle coach Roger Newton said his goal was to simply keep the tournament going this season and begin rebuilding it next year. Now we’ll have to wait and see what happens to this event.
* * *
The Kentucky School for the Deaf boys and girls have already played in their holiday tournament, hosting the inaugural KSD Small Schools Invitational last weekend. Congratulations are in order for both KSD teams on their success. The boys won the tournament, beating Covington Latin in the championship game, and the girls broke a 52-game losing streak with a victory over Piarist in the third-place game.
The latter victory will cost KSD coach Scott Johnson his hair, which he promised to have shaved when the Colonels’ losing streak ended. That happened yesterday, and video of the shaving will be available on amnews.com later today.
* * *
For the first time I can remember, the Berea Holiday Classic is being played without any area teams. One or two or sometimes three have almost always been booked in this large and competitive tournament, which began Tuesday.
* * *
There are no holiday tournaments for me until after Christmas, because I’m taking a break. So Merry Christmas to all.
Meanwhile, here’s where to find your favorite team during the holidays:
- Boyle County: LCA Invitational at Lexington Christian, Thursday-Sunday; Fifth Third Bank Classic at Lexington Catholic, Dec. 26-30.
- Burgin: Off until Jan. 2.
- Casey County: Hoopin’ it Up Holiday Classic at North Laurel and South Laurel, today-Saturday; Monticello Bank Classic at Wayne County, Dec. 27-29.
- Danville: Eagle Classic at Madison Southern, Thursday-Saturday.
- Garrard County: Eagle Classic at Madison Southern, Thursday-Saturday; First Southern/Roy’s BBQ Classic at Russellville, Dec. 27-29.
- KSD: Off until Jan. 8.
- Lincoln County: Defenders of the Station Invitational at Henry Clay and Bryan Station, today-Saturday; Fifth Third Bank Classic at Lexington Catholic, Dec. 26-30.
- Mercer County: LCA Invitational at Lexington Christian, Thursday-Sunday; Monticello Bank Classic at Wayne County, Dec. 27-29.
- Boyle County: Country Music Highway Holiday Classic at Johnson Central, today-Saturday; Applebee’s Winter Classic at Boyle County, Dec. 27-29.
- Burgin: Off until Jan. 4.
- Casey County: Shively Sporting Goods Invitational at Central Hardin, Thursday-Saturday; Campbellsville University/Coca-Cola Holiday Classic, Dec. 26-28.
- Danville: Commanderette Holiday Classic at Washington County, today-Saturday.
- Garrard County: Country Music Highway Holiday Classic at Johnson Central, today-Saturday.
- KSD: Off until Jan. 11.
- Lincoln County: Lexington Catholic Holiday Classic, Thursday-Sunday; Lady Dragon Invitational at Doss, Dec. 27-29.
- Mercer County: Commanderette Holiday Classic at Washington County, today-Saturday; Greenwood Holiday Classic, Dec. 26-29.