Boyle headed back to Bowling Green
Boyle County prevailed in yet another classic semifinal clash with Bell County on Friday to reach the state football finals for the second consecutive year.
Boyle, the defending Class 4A champion, defeated Bell 25-21 in Pineville to return to the 4A final, where they will attempt to win their seventh state championship. The Rebels will play Allen County-Scottsville, which is coached by former Lincoln County assistant Brad Hood, for the title at 8 p.m. this Friday in Bowling Green.
The news was not so good for Danville, which couldn’t keep pace in a shootout with Owensboro Catholic at Admiral Stadium. The Admirals lost 61-42 and will sit out the state finals for the fourth straight year.
The game stories from each game are linked above. Look for more coverage Saturday on amnews.com and in Sunday’s Advocate, and there’ll be more Boyle coverage throughout next week both online and in print.
* * *
Here is the full schedule for next week’s state finals at Houchens Industries-L.T. Smith Stadium in Bowling Green (all times Eastern):
Friday, Dec. 3
- Class 1A: Mayfield (14-0) vs. Hazard (14-0), Noon
- Class 2A: Owensboro Catholic (13-1) vs. Newport Central Catholic (12-2), 4 p.m.
- Class 4A: Allen County-Scottsville (13-0) vs. Boyle County (14-0), 8 p.m.
Saturday, Dec. 4
- Class 3A: Central (8-6) vs. Belfry (10-4), Noon
- Class 5A: Christian County (12-2) vs. Highlands (13-1), 4 p.m.
- Class 6A: Male (11-3) vs. Trinity (13-1), 8 p.m.