Southwestern, Clark to play for Fort Harrod title
Southwestern and George Rogers Clark will face off for the championship of the Whitaker Bank Fort Harrod Classic on Friday after both teams won close semifinal games tonight at Mercer County.
Southwestern (9-0), the consensus favorite to win the 12th Region, advanced with a 68-60 victory over Ohio County. George Rogers Clark (8-2) had its lowest point total of the season but still defeated Lexington Christian 44-40.
Danville will have the highest finish among the three local teams in the 16-team field. The Admirals will play Miami in the fifth-place game, which has been moved up to 10 a.m. to allow Miami to get an early start on its long ride home.
Later in the day, Boyle County will play Southern for seventh place and Mercer will play Marion County for 13th place. All three local teams will play at the Mercer County Ninth Grade Academy.
Here’s the complete schedule for Friday’s final rounds:
At Mercer County Ninth Grade Academy
- Fifth place, Danville vs. Miami, 10 a.m.
- 15th place, Boyd County vs. Greenup County, 11:30 a.m.
- Seventh place, Southern vs. Boyle County, 1 p.m.
- 13th place, Mercer County vs. Marion County, 2:30 p.m.
At Mercer County High
- 11th place, Allen County-Scottsville vs. Woodford County, 11:30 a.m.
- Ninth place, South Laurel vs. duPont Manual, 1 p.m.
- Third place, Lexington Christian vs. Ohio County, 2:30 p.m.
- Championship, George Rogers Clark vs. Southwestern, 4 p.m.