Mercer, Marion make Titan Christmas Clash final
Mercer County will play Marion County for the championship of Mercer’s Titan Christmas Clash on Friday night.
Mercer (9-2) advanced to the title game of the 16-team tournament with a 51-47 victory over Anderson County in its semifinal tonight. Its reward is a game against Marion (11-2), which is widely considered the No. 1 or 2 team in Kentucky and which coasted into the finals with a 66-25 rout of Sheldon Clark.
This will be Mercer’s second appearance in the finals of its own tourney, which is in its fourth year. The Titans lost to Madison Central in the 2008 title game. Lincoln County defeated Notre Dame for the 2009 title, and Elizabethtown beat St. Henry last year.
Lincoln and Casey County, the top two Advocate-area girls teams in recent years will play for fifth place in the most interesting game on Friday’s undercard. The two teams have met in the final game of the regular season and again in the 12th Region Tournament in each of the last four seasons, and only one of the eight games was decided by more than nine points.
Casey has won five of the last eight meetings, including three of the four postseason games. Lincoln beat Casey 72-69 in double-overtime in their regular-season meeting last winter, but Casey turned the tables with a 59-53 win in the first round of the regional.
Earlier on Friday, Burgin will try for its first win in its first appearance in the Mercer tourney when it plays Dixie Heights for 15th place.
Here’s the complete schedule for Friday’s final rounds, with all games at Mercer County High School:
- 15th place, Burgin vs. Dixie Heights, 9 a.m.
- Seventh place, St. Patrick vs. Nelson County, 10:30 a.m.
- 13th place, Covington Holy Cross vs. Johnson Central, Noon
- 11th place, Tates Creek vs. Lone Oak, 1:30 p.m.
- Ninth place, Paul Dunbar vs. Calloway County, 3 p.m.
- Fifth place, Lincoln County vs. Casey County, 4:30 p.m.
- Third place, Sheldon Clark vs. Anderson County, 6 p.m.
- Championship, Marion County vs. Mercer County, 7:30 p.m.