Regional review, Monday 2/27
The regional review returns, with nightly nuggets from the girls and boys 12th Region Tournaments. Tonight, here are news and notes from day 1 of the girls regional at Lincoln County:
- Mercer County defeated Southwestern 49-48; Lincoln County defeated Pulaski County 71-52. Mercer (27-5) plays Lincoln (22-9) in Friday’s 6 p.m. semifinal.
- Mercer had its hands full with a team it had beaten 62-33 just 10 days earlier in its regular-season finale. The game was close from end to end and was decided when Tabby Shewmaker hit one of two free throws to break a tie with 4 seconds to play. Southwestern had a shot to win it, but Samantha Fitzgerald’s elbow jumper missed the mark.
- Mercer’s starting lineup includes three seniors and a junior, while Southwestern started three freshmen and an eighth-grader.
- Catheryne Claunch scored 15 points and Savannah Taylor added 10 for Mercer. Brittany Combs scored 15 points and Addison Corder had 14 for Southwestern.
- Lincoln defeated Pulaski for the second time this season — the Lady Patriots won 77-69 in their season opener Nov. 28 — but this win was not as easy as the score might make it seem, at least not until after halftime. The game was tied at 33-all after two quarters, but Lincoln outscored the Lady Maroons 21-7 in the third.
- Emily Fox scored 20 points to lead four Lincoln girls in double figures. Sydney Harris had 17, and reserves Tiandra Hocker and Heidi Huffman scored 11 each. Mariah Meeks had 20 points and Brittany Warren had 18 for Pulaski.
- The wins by Mercer and Lincoln set up a semifinal showdown between the region’s two highest-rated teams. Mercer won their regular-season meeting Feb. 3, forcing 29 Lincoln turnovers in a 49-45 victory at Harrodsburg.
- The first round concludes Tuesday when Wayne County (18-14) faces Danville (21-7) at 6 p.m. and Casey County (17-14) plays Burgin (13-18) at 7:30. Danville defeated Wayne 62-60 on Dec. 10 in the next-to-last game for former Wayne coach Tim Pyles, who resigned the following week. Allen Burchett, a former assistant with the Wayne boys, has gone 17-9 since taking over the Lady Cardinals in mid-December. Casey and Burgin did not meet during the regular season.