Regional review, Tuesday 2/28
News and notes from day 2 of the girls 12th Region Tournament at Lincoln County:
- Wayne County defeated Danville 55-51; Casey County defeated Burgin 50-43. Wayne (19-14) plays Casey (18-14) in Friday’s 7:30 p.m. semifinal.
- Danville had one of the hottest teams in the region and a dream draw, but the Lady Admirals failed to capitalize because they couldn’t find the basket. They shot 35.8 percent from the field, but only after making eight of their 15 shots in the fourth quarter, and they hit only nine of 24 free throws. Still, they managed to cut what had been a 10-point deficit at the start of the fourth quarter to two points before Wayne held on.
- Wayne had lost 62-60 at Danville on Dec. 10, but the Lady Cardinals played much better in the rematch. They shot 43.5 percent from the field, hit seven of their 10 fourth-quarter free throws and outrebounded the Lady Admirals 40-28.
- Jessica Hardin led Wayne with 26 points, and Samantha Sexton had 14 points and 18 rebounds. Essence Grey had 14 points and Laken Grey had 13 points for Danville.
- Casey had its hands full with Burgin, which fell behind 17-5 in the second quarter but refused to go quietly. The Lady Bulldogs battled back to within striking but couldn’t quite catch up to the Lady Rebels, who helped Burgin’s cause with some silly fouls late in the game but hit enough free throws of their own to secure their spot in the semis.
- Tiara Cochran, one of five freshmen playing critical minutes for Casey, scored a career-high 23 points, and Jasmine Johnson added 12. Shavon Majors scored 23 points and Liz Marcinek added 12 for Burgin.
- The boys 12th Region Tournament begins Wednesday at Pulaski County with two first-round games: Boyle County (11-15) vs. Casey County (4-27) at 6 p.m. and East Jessamine (27-4) vs. Wayne County (17-15) at about 7:30. Boyle and Casey did not meet this season, while East Jessamine and Wayne played one of the wildest games of the season: a 110-81 East Jessamine win Jan. 10 in Nicholasville.