Regional review, Wednesday 2/29
News and notes from day 1 of the boys 12th Region Tournament at Pulaski County:
- Boyle County defeated Casey County 57-48; East Jessamine defeated Wayne County 78-61. Boyle (12-15) plays East Jessamine (28-4) in Monday’s 6 p.m. semifinal.
- Boyle didn’t play the prettiest game against Casey, but it was good enough to win the battle of Rebels. Boyle pulled away from an 8-all tie in the first quarter to take a 26-16 halftime lead, but Casey won the third quarter to stay in the game. Boyle pulled away early in the fourth, taking its largest lead at 49-34.
- Casey outshot (42.2 percent to 35.8 percent) and outrebounded (33-32) Boyle, but Boyle had 10 more made free throws and 15 more attempts at the foul line and committed only six turnovers.
- Kyle Rice led Boyle with 19 points and seven rebounds, and Michael Arnett had 10 points, 10 rebounds and 10 blocked shots. Micah Satterly had 11 points and Brett Jones had 10 for Boyle. Taylor Leigh had 13 points and 11 rebounds for Casey, and Clay Cannon also had 11 points.
- East Jessamine and Wayne were neck and neck through the first half, but the Jaguars ran off and hid in the third quarter, outscoring the Cardinals 24-5 and scoring the last 12 points of the period to take a 51-32 lead.
- C.J. Boyd led East Jessamine with 19 points, and Cody Collins added 16. Andy Dodd, one of only two Wayne seniors, scored 18 points and Jason Perkins scored 10 for the Cardinals.
- The first round concludes Thursday as Southwestern (24-8) plays Lincoln County (19-12) at 6 p.m. and Pulaski County plays West Jessamine (18-13) at about 7:30. Lincoln defeated Southwestern 63-59 on Feb. 7 in Stanford, although the Warriors played without forward Justin Edwards; Pulaski defeated West Jessamine 90-85 in overtime Feb. 14 in Somerset.