Game day, better late than never
Football season could have started two weeks ago and should have started one week ago, but at least it’s finally here. Unless I’m getting forgetful, It’s the latest opening day in at least 20 years. But on the plus side, it is a tad cooler than it was at the start of last season, when some games were delayed due to high heat indices. Still not cool enough, just cooler.
* * *
After a “success” rate of 72.3 percent last season, I’m going to take another run at picking the winners of each week’s area games. There’s no mystery in the first week’s picks, as I’m sticking by the preseason predictions that appeared in print last week (see story, chart) until each team develops a body of work or its circumstances change.
So the Week 1 picks are:
- Bell County over Garrard County
- Lincoln County over Washington County
- Madison Central over Mercer County (Sat.)
- Boyle County over Warren Central (Sat.)
- Danville over Russell County (Sat.)
- Trimble County over Casey County (Sat.)
See you tonight at the Death Valley Bowl and tomorrow at the Bob Allen Pigskin Classic.