It will be interesting to see how both Boyle County and Danville bounce back tonight after their showdown last week, because each teams will have to recover from that big game in their own way.
Danville’s task is bigger after it took a 43-6 shellacking in the crosstown showdown, and it’s also more difficult because the Admirals face a really good Class 6A team in 3-0 George Rogers Clark. The Ads will have a hard time winning this one on the road, but I’ll be surprised if they don’t at least look sharper than in most of the Boyle game.
Boyle is in an interesting spot this week, right between last week’s big win and next week’s game with Lexington Catholic, which should decide the Class 4A, District 6 championship. For the Rebels, tonight’s game with Lafayette will be a test of focus. And even though Lafayette is also a 6A school, this game is winnable if that focus is there.
Just for kicks, I checked the records to see how both Boyle and Danville did in recent years in the game following a Boyle win in their rivalry:
- 2005: Boyle beat Lafayette 35-20; Danville beat Somerset 42-26.
- 2004: Boyle won at Nelson County 41-6; Danville beat Somerset 56-7.
- 2003: Boyle beat Nelson County 32-13; Danville beat Somerset 63-3.
- 2001: Boyle beat Harrodsburg 62-8; Danville beat Green County 21-7.
- 2000: Boyle beat Harrodsburg 57-13; Danville beat Southwestern 32-0.
- 1999: Boyle beat Harrodsburg 47-0; Danville lost to Southwestern 27-25.
- 1997: Boyle beat Estill County 54-15; Danville beat Corbin 41-7; both were first-round playoff games.
- 1996: Boyle beat Madison Southern 29-28 in a regional final after beating Danville in the second round of the playoffs.
* * *
The game to watch tonight might well be in Lancaster, where Garrard County faces the first of the two powers in Class 3A, District 5. The Golden Lions host Somerset this week and Taylor County next week, and a win in either game (or both) makes them one of the district powers as well.
Until these games are played, there’s no good read on Garrard following one game in which it was outclassed (Bell County) and two in which it outclassed its opponents (Bethlehem and Jackson County.) So it’s finally time to see what the Lions can do.
* * *
The only available link relative to tonight’s area games is:
- A preview of the Danville-George Rogers Clark game from The Winchester Sun.
* * *
Here are this week’s picks, following an undefeated if admittedly easy week:
- Boyle County over Lafayette
- Taylor County over Casey County
- Somerset over Garrard County
- George Rogers Clark over Danville
- Mercer County over Southwestern
Last week: 4-0; season 14-2 (.875).