Basketball begins again
“Hoosiers” is playing on TV this morning, so it must be time to start another basketball season. The KHSAA season opens tonight with three girls games — Anderson County at Casey County, Somerset at Garrard County and Lincoln County at Pulaski County — and every area team will tip off sometime this week except the Danville boys, who open Dec. 4.
The season covers 12 weeks between now and Feb. 16, and the postseason begins Feb. 18 with the start of district tournament play.
Danville Christian, which plays outside the KHSAA, opened its season about 10 days ago. Here are the opening games for Advocate-area KHSAA teams:
- Boyle County: boys, Saturday vs. Woodford County at Mercer County; girls, Friday at Southwestern.
- Burgin: boys and girls, Tuesday vs. Lynn Camp.
- Casey County: boys, Thursday vs. Burgin; girls, tonight vs. Anderson County.
- Danville: boys, Dec. 4 vs. West Jessamine; girls, Tuesday vs. Lafayette.
- Garrard County: boys, Tuesday at Grant County; girls, tonight vs. Somerset.
- Kentucky School for the Deaf: boys and girls, Tuesday at St. Francis.
- Lincoln County: boys, Tuesday at Russell County; girls, tonight at Pulaski County.
- Mercer County: boys, Tuesday vs. Marion County; girls, Thursday at Sacred Heart.
“Now boys, don’t get caught watching the paint dry.”