Friday football digest, week 4
How is it that every Advocate-area football team — or at least the five teams that are playing this week — is on the road Friday night?
To follow a local team this week, you’ll have to hit the road to Albany, Irvine, Lawrenceburg, Mount Vernon or Somerset. I love a good road trip more than most, but it’s a pretty rare thing not to find at least one of our teams at home in a given week, though it has happened before.
Not all road games are created equal, of course, but at least three of the five on this week’s schedule will be stern tests for the visiting teams: Danville at Somerset, Mercer County at Anderson County and Lincoln County at Rockcastle County.
The lone local team that isn’t traveling tonight is Boyle County, which is off. The Rebels can rest on the laurels of their three straight impressive wins for one more week before making the short trip to Mercer on Sept. 18.
* * *
Preview stories for this week’s games are scarce except for those from amnews.com, which are always required reading. Here’s your Friday reading list:
- Casey County at Clinton County: Hal Morris’ preview from amnews.com.
- Danville at Somerset: Larry Vaught’s preview from amnews.com.
- Garrard County at Estill County: Morris’ preview from amnews.com.
- Lincoln County at Rockcastle County: Morris’ preview from amnews.com.
- Mercer County at Anderson County: Morris’ preview from amnews.com; John Herndon’s preview from The Anderson News, plus a related column by Herndon.
* * *
My prediction success rate continues to sink like a stone with another lackluster 4-2 week. This is the week where things will be different — or not:
- Casey County over Clinton County.
- Somerset over Danville.
- Garrard County over Estill County.
- Rockcastle County over Lincoln County.
- Anderson County over Mercer County.
Last week: 4-2; season 12-5 (.706).