The road to 300
While the Danville football team is forcing Sam Harp to take the long way to 300 wins, St. Xavier’s Mike Glaser became the fifth coach to win 300 games in Kentucky when the Tigers beat Male on Friday.
Glaser was already ahead of Harp on the all-time wins list when the season began, and there is no other coach in position to overtake the Danville coach this season.
Whether Harp makes it to 300 before 2010 is anybody’s guess at this point. However, the Admirals’ loss to Boyle County on Friday ensures that if it happens this season, it’ll have to be in the Class 2A playoffs. If the Ads win three of their final four regular-season games — still a reasonable possibility — they would have to win two playoff games to give Harp his 300th.
Here’s the updated list of the state’s winningest coaches, through week 6:
- x-Bob Schneider, Newport Central Catholic, 339
- x-Dudley Hilton, Bell County, 324
- x-Philip Haywood, Belfry, 322
- x-Bob Redman, Male, 311
- x-Mike Glaser, St. Xavier, 300
- x-Sam Harp, Danville, 295
- Joe Jaggers, North Hardin, 292
- y-Mojo Hollowell, Owensboro Catholic, 285
- xz-Ivan McGlone, Russell, 287
- Walter Brugh, Paintsville, 280
(x-active; y-does not include 20 wins in Indiana;z-does not include 28 wins in West Virginia)