MacShara named KFCA player of the year
Rees MacShara of Boyle County has been named the Class 4A player of the year by the Kentucky Football Coaches Association.
MacShara has rushed for 2,878 yards and 42 touchdowns — and has another 347 receiving yards — entering Friday’s 4A final against Lone Oak, which puts him right in the thick of the Mr. Football race. The winner of that award won’t be announced until later this month.
He’ll be recognized this weekend at the state finals, along with the other winners of the KFCA’s statewide and district player and coach of the year awards. That list includes former Lincoln County coach and current Somerset interim coach Robbie Lucas, the winner of the 3A coach of the year award.
Lucas’ Briar Jumpers will play Paducah Tilghman for the 3A title on Saturday. He is one of two coaches from Somerset to win a state coach of the year award from the KFCA, as Pulaski County’s John Hines is the 5A winner. Here’s the full list of statewide winners, with the player of the year listed first in each class:
- Class A: Domonique Hayden and Paul Rains, both of Lexington Christian.
- Class 2A: Antonio Andrews and Shawn Berner, both of Fort Campbell.
- Class 3A: Tim Patterson, Central; Robbie Lucas, Somerset.
- Class 4A: Rees MacShara, Boyle County; Luke Salmons, Lawrence County.
- Class 5A: Jacob Russell, Anderson County; John Hines, Pulaski County.
- Class 6A: Miles Simpson and Jeff Marksberry, both of Simon Kenton.
As for the district awards, Will Dunn of Danville and Tyler Ray were named players of the year in their respective districts, and Danville’s Sam Harp and Boyle’s Larry French were named coaches of the year. Here’s the full list of winners from districts including area teams, again with players listed first:
- Class 2A-4: Will Dunn and Sam Harp, both of Danville.
- Class 3A-5: Tyler Ray, Garrard County; Robbie Lucas, Somerset.
- Class 4A-6: Rees MacShara and Larry French, both of Boyle County.
- Class 5A-7: Zach Eastham and John Hines, both of Pulaski County.
A full list of the district winners can be found on this KFCA Web page.