With district tournament play complete from top to bottom in the 12th Region, we now know which teams will have the advantage and which will have the tougher draws when the regional tournament pairings are put together Saturday.
For those who don’t know, here’s a crash course in how the regional tourneys are put together. There are eight teams in each tournament, four teams that won their districts and four runners-up. Each district champion will be paired against a runner-up from one of the other three districts in the first round. Teams from the same district are always in opposite brackets, meaning they can’t possibly meet before the finals.
The drawing for the girls tournament will be Saturday morning at Lincoln County, which will host that tournament beginning Monday. The boys drawing is Saturday afternoon at Pulaski County, where the boys tourney will begin Wednesday.
Here’s are the qualifiers, with the district champion listed first followed by the runner-up on each line:
- 45th District: Boyle County (18-8), Danville (12-15)
- 46th District: West Jessamine (23-7), Mercer County (20-9)
- 47th District: Pulaski County (12-17), Casey County (8-22)
- 48th District: McCreary Central (24-6), Wayne County (19-11)
- 45th District: Lincoln County (22-4), Garrard County (19-6)
- 46th District: Mercer County (20-9), East Jessamine (12-15)
- 47th District: Rockcastle County (24-4), Casey County (17-12)
- 48th District: Southwestern (19-9), Monticello (17-12)