This is from Larry Vaught in Danville. I’ve talked to Vinny’s mom Robyn Curry twice in the past week and Larry has a story on his situation as well.
Sophomore Vinny Zollo not only is waiting to talk to new Kentucky coach John Calipari and/or his staff, but his mother is also still waiting for UK officials to return her call.
Zollo recently finished his first season at George Rogers Clark after moving there from Ohio with his family last summer. He had already verbally committed to play for then UK coach Billy Gillispie before his family moved.
“He hasn’t talked to the staff or coach Calipari,” said his mother, Robyn Curry. “They were supposed to be in contact with him and asked to put it off until Monday.
“We have not done anything. We are just sitting back. They are the ones who need to contact us. We have tried to call (UK) president (Lee) Todd two times and he is yet to return our call.
“That has upset Vinny because him and Vinny had a good relationship. We sat in Todd’s office for an hour after Vinny made his verbal commitment and we are upset he has not returned calls.”
Curry says she knows her son doesn’t have to rush to make any rash decisions even though at least five other players – Konner Tucker, Dakotah Euton, K.C. Ross-Miller, Dominique Ferguson and Michael Avery – who made verbal commitments to UK have re-opened their recruiting. Plus, G.J. Villarino, who did sign with UK in November, says now he won’t attend UK.
“The university evaluated and wanted him. Now we need to evaluate the new coaches and see if it is still a good fit for Vinny,” Curry said. “Maybe coach Calipari and Vinny will bond right away. Vinny said they are both Italians, so who knows. Vinny is a good kid and good person. Coach (Calipari) needs to evaluate him before he just turns him away. Vinny has more growing and maturing to do. I think he could help UK some day.
“It’s sad that some recruits he has built relationships with like Dakotah Euton don’t have that chance. We hope it works out for (senior signee) Jon Hood (of Madisonville) because he is a great kid, too. We are just going to remain positive and see what happens.”
Curry did want to put one rumor to rest. They are not moving back to Ohio.
“We went to Ohio last weekend and speculation was we were moving back,” she said. “That’s not true. This has been a great move for us. We are playing for a great coach. The school is great academically. The move has been something we are not going to regret. We were already looking for a place to move Vinny away from his high school coach before he made his verbal to Kentucky.”
Curry expects her son, who is playing AAU basketball with a northern Kentucky team this weekend becaue his mom said he needed a distraction from everything else that has happened, to have other choices if Calipari decides he does not want him at UK.
“Vinny was getting looks by others before we made the verbal to Kentucky,” Curry said. “We don’t have any pressure on us because we have time to see what eventually happens and what else might be out there.
“I am just glad this was not his senior year. It’s bad enough to have this happen with two years of high school left. I can’t imagine how it must be for kids who were seniors and thought they had their college plans set.”